Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cafe Rio Pork

For the Pork:
3 lbs pork (butt or shoulder)
20 oz coca cola
1-1 ½ C ketchup
1 clove garlic, minced

Place the pork in a crock pot.
Stir together the cola and ketchup. Add minced garlic. Pour mixture over meat.
Cover and cook on high for several hours (4-6 hours depending on size of roast, also more time if you choose to cook it on low).
When pork is tender, shred the meat and place back in the crock pot.
Then prepare the sauce and pour over the pork.

Sauce:
2 C tomatillo sauce
1 ½ C brown sugar (more or less to taste)
Juice of 2 limes
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Chili powder
More ketchup (if consistency needs thickening. (don’t put too much, just
take the lid off of the crock pot for an hour or so to thicken.)

Cook and simmer on low for an hour or so.

*****NOTE*****If you can't find tomatillo sauce, which I haven't been able to, just buy 4 tomatillos in the produce section and put them in a blender. I personally think you only need to add 1 - 1 1/2 C tomatillo sauce. I had never seen them before, but trust me, they're there, just ask the produce man. Freeze your extras and use it for later. Deli-sh!

3 comments:

Meghan said...

Steve saw this and is really excited. :) Looks great!

The Lovells said...

when you say "several hours" to cook the pork, how many do you mean?

Jen Bird said...

Sorry it has taken me forever to respond, I ket forgetting about it until I was cleaning out my e-mail box. I put the roast in the crockpot around 10 am, then around 3 pm, I added the sauce and shredded it and then let it cook even longer. I also cooked my roast on low because I put it in earlier. Hopefully that helps. You just want it tender and easy to shred.